Thursday, March 22, 2012

Asparagus

When I started planning my potager/kitchen garden, I knew that asparagus would be included in my selection of plants to include.  Last year I planted a row of New Jersey Giant roots/crowns. Through the horrible drought last year, I watered them with a soaker hose and they seemed to do fine.  I was actually impressed at how well they did in the extreme Texas heat.  Earlier this month I was excited to see the first shoots coming up through the layer of compost I had piled on top late last fall.   All the books say to harvest after the asparagus has been in the ground two years.   I sure am tempted to harvest this year, but to ensure my plants make the strongest root system possible, I will wait. Hopefully, my patience will be rewarded with many years of fresh asparagus. 




1 comment: