Monday, February 6, 2012

Cheap and Easy Goulash

This is recipe has served me well through the years. When I'm in a bind and need to get supper on the table fast, I often make this recipe.  You could substitute white rice for pasta if you like.

Ingredients:

1 pound elbow macaroni
2 pounds ground beef
1 diced onion
1-2 cloves of minced garlic
3 - 15 oz. cans of salt-free tomatoes (I use diced tomoatoes)
1 tbsp. chili powder (to taste)
1 tsp. ground cumin (to taste)
Kosher salt (to taste)
Pepper to taste
*Optional - cooked pinto or red beans could be added if you like, or 1-2 cups of cooked white rice instead of pasta.

Directions:


Heat EVOO in  a pan then add diced onion and saute.  When onions are translucent, add minced garlic and cook about a minute more.  Add ground beef, sprinkle with some salt and cook until completely brown.   Now, add the canned tomatoes (with juice) to the meat mixture.  Then add the chili powder and cumin. Simmer this mixture for 8-10 minutes or enought to let the flavors fuse together.   Taste and adjust seasonings.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add Kosher salt to water and then add pasta and cook about 10 minutes (al dente).


When the noodles are done, carefully dip out 1-2 cups of the pasta water and set aside.  Drain pasta - enjoy the pasta steam (free facial).  Add the pasta back to the pot you cooked it in. Pour the meat mixture over the pasta and stir. I add a little of the pasta water to the mixture and stir until I get the consistency I like. 


Ingredients
I tend to cook things on the weekend then put in the freezer for future meals. The picture above shows a bag of already cooked ground beef.  I pull out the meat when I need it and just reheat --- a big time saver.

The finished product.  Yum-o!



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment